About Albukhary International University
- The Albukhary International University (AiU) located in the city of Alor Setar, Kedah Darul Aman, Malaysia is fully funded through the Albukhary Foundation , a Malaysian based organisation with an international presence started in 1996 by Malaysian corporate entrepreneur and philanthropist Tan Sri Syed Mokhtar Albukhary.
- AiU hopes that through its philosophy and programmes, its graduates will be academically and professionally sound, whilst at the same time become imbibed with core humanitarian values. In this way, our graduates will not only be gainfully employed and become successful professionals, but that they will also have the passion to serve and contribute to their respective societies.
- In the long run, although AiU is not a large University, with a maximum of 3,000 students, the quality and the kind of graduates that are schooled in AiU will be able to make a difference to the bottom 20 per cent of society.
What AiU means by being an “international university”
- Far too often Universities consider themselves International or that they have Internationalised themselves, when some of the following features are in place:
- Having large numbers of international students
- Cross border activities such as movement of students and staff.
- The physical presence in other countries of branch campuses.
- Virtual programmes offered worldwide without learners having to relocate.
- However, far more important is the fact that the university’s teaching, learning, research and service functions reflects “the process of integrating an international, intercultural, and global dimension into the purpose, functions (teaching, research, service) and delivery of higher education”; a different process than globalisation [Knight, J, 2006]
- This means that this integrating process is a truly representative one, and not skewed or biased towards any particular viewpoint. It implies the development of a “synthesising mind” with the ability to systematically find patterns by putting ideas together and coming out with the bigger picture. It implies also the ability to present an international scenario that takes into account values and nuances, thus making it truly International.
- In this way, AiU will in a small way contribute to bringing about deeper understanding between East and West and between North and South whereby all staff and students will subscribe to this ideal and translate it in all their academic and social pursuits beyond the campus life.